It’s a grey, rainy day so I thought I’d brighten the mood with this bright punch recipe. I mean, really, don’t you just want to dive right into that photo? It looks like an entire mariachi band is playing a rockabilly-version of La Bamba in a pitcher. You say ‘Party’, I yell ‘Fiesta’!
Hibiscus flowers are also knows as flor de Jamaica and are commonly used in Latino kitchens. Personally, I’m slightly addicted to them, as the juice is just so darn refreshing. And pretty. Who doesn’t love pretty in a glass? Check out a specialty store for the dried flowers, buy online or you can purchase Hibiscus flowers in syrup, all ready to use, which, being a Lazy Bride, is the preferred modus operandi.
In addition to being ridiculously and richly red, this punch can be made ‘adult’ by throwing in some good quality vodka, making it a fab option for a specialty cocktail.
- 3 quarts (12 cups) water
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece ginger, finely grated
- 1 1/2 cups dried Jamaica flowers (also known as hibiscus or flor de Jamaica)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 1 large lime)
- Combine water and ginger in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in Jamaica flowers and sugar until sugar has dissolved. Let steep 10 minutes.
- Strain through a chinois or fine mesh strainer into a large, heat-resistant
bowl or pot (NOTE: DO NOT THROW USED FLOWERS DOWN THE SINK OR THEY WILL CLOG THE PIPES).
- Stir in lime juice and set aside to cool. Refrigerate until
ready to use. Serve over ice.
Photo and recipe from CHOW